Did you know that your oral health has a huge impact on your overall health? This is why keeping a clean healthy mouth of gums and teeth free of harmful bacteria or plaque buildup is super important. Excessive growth of these agents can lead to harmful toxin production and release into your bloodstream, causing periodontal, or gum, disease.
When these occurs, associated symptoms such as gum swelling, tooth pain and discomfort, and bad bread odor can happen. If left untreated, gum disease can lead to many systemic health illnesses including diabetes, heart disease, tooth/bone loss, pregnancy complications, pancreatic cancer, and stroke. If you experience any of the following symptoms, a dentist in Northbrook, IL can help guide you in the right direction back to a healthy oral environment.
To help decrease your chances of getting gum disease, a few easy steps can be started today, such as:
- Regular brushing and flossing: Brushing and flossing twice daily can significantly minimize your chances of getting gum disease.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet including vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and plenty of water can help improve your oral health.
- Eliminate or reduce smoking: Cigarette smoking can lead to unhealthy teeth and gums and should be avoided to help decrease the chances of developing gum disease and improve overall health.
- Choose a good toothpaste: a gum disease fighting or preventing toothpaste should include fluoride and other plaque and bacteria eliminating agents to ensure your oral health remains in-tact.
An experienced dental professional, such as Dr Edward Segal and his talented team in Northbrook, IL, can create a custom treatment plan to address gum disease. Dr Segal offers various advanced technologies specifically for the treatment of gum disease. These include:
- LANAP laser treatment
- Scaling and root planing
- Osseous surgery
- Pinhole surgery technique
- Gum grafting
Get started today!
If you are experiencing any symptoms related to gum disease, be sure to call Dr Edward Segal in our office in Northbrook, IL today to schedule an appointment!